The following sections are contained within help and you can also download our Fact File on Thesis binding here.
- Tips for preparing the layout of your thesis for printing and binding
- PDF conversion information
- Using our Easy Calculator:
- Cover colour options
- Payment options
- Do I need to reserve orders in advance?
- Other services
Tips for preparing the layout of your thesis for printing and binding
- Prepare your thesis well in advance so that you don't need to rush it or panic at the end to meet the timetables for hand in dates and remember to take into account the time needed to have it converted to PDF format, printed, bound and delivered
- Check the examination boards' specifications before you begin and plan carefully including budgeting for the cost of printing, binding and delivery
- Minimum margins: All text, graphics, tables, graphs, page numbers, foot notes, headers etc. should have a 2.5 cm (1") minimum margin around all edges to allow for sewing or gluing and trimming once printed
- Single side printing, paper stock and special requirements. We will usually print your thesis single-sided only on high quality 100 gsm white bond paper unless you instruct us otherwise in the NOTES section of the order form. If you want some pages printed double-sided or as A3 foldouts then you should let us know when ordering. You do not need to leave a blank page between each page to be printed
Once you have made sure that you’re completely happy with the content and layout of your finished thesis then you will need to convert it as a single file to PDF format (portable document file). PDF is the only format we can accept for digital laser printing as it will preserve the exact accurate typography and layout of your work true to how you want it printed regardless of the application and platform you have used to generate the document. For this reason we have provided a free PDF converter for your use on this website.
Note we can take no responsibility for checking or changing submitted files before printing. It is your responsibility to ensure that there are no typographic errors, problems with page numbering or omissions from the document both before conversion and after you have received the file in PDF format.
Our free PDF converter can be used to upload a single file for conversion. The converted PDF file will then be e-mailed back to you so please make sure that you have an active internet email account before using the PDF converter. After you have checked it you can then upload the saved PDF file to our on-line order form page for printing from.
If there are any formulas or landscape (change in page orientation) pages in your thesis, then the page numbers should be bought to our attention.
3 ways to convert your document to PDF from your computer...
- Mac Users: If you have a Mac you already have a PDF print driver installed. Simply print to PDF from the document source.
- Adobe Acrobat Writer installed: If you have Adobe Acrobat Writer on your PC simply print the document to PDF and create it this way.
- FREE DOWNLOAD: Alternatively, you can download freeware software (it's free!) PDFCreator to your computer.
This will install a PDF print driver on your computer. Once again it's a simple process and takes minutes to install. Once installed you simply print to PDF from the document source.
Support notes to help you choose the right download version of PDFCreator:
- Q: What is the difference between the AFPL and the Ghostscript version of PDFCreator?
- A: The main difference is the Ghostscript version used. The AFPL version is newer than the GPL version, but the license is more restrictive. If you just want to use PDFCreator, then both versions are fine and the AFPL should be preferred, as it is far better. If you need an aspect of the license that is not covered by the AFPL but by the GPL, then you should download the GPL version.
- Q: What file should I download?
- A: PDFCreator requires Ghostscript. There are 2 different Setups for the two versions of Ghostscript
NOTE: Please note that Thesis Online has no link or responsibility for external sites. We are simply referring resources to enable you to create a PDF.
Using our Easy-Calculator
Before placing your order you will need to enter the details of your thesis printing, binding and delivery/collection requirements into our Easy-Calculator that will then generate the total cost. You’ll need to know:
- how many copies you want,
- how many black and colour printed pages need printing per copy, PLEASE ENSURE YOUR COUNT IS ACCURATE OR THIS COULD LEAD TO A DELAY IN YOUR WORK BEING SENT
- what type of binding you want
- details of any extras such as pockets for CD’s, DVD’s or loose inserts,
- the turnaround time (service level) you want
- and whether you are collecting the finished bound books from our shop or if being delivered, how you want the work to be delivered.
Costs for the various options are shown in the Easy-Calculator. More information on the options is shown below.
Colour or black ink only printing
Our digital printers will automatically print any pages with coloured text, photos or graphics contained within them in colour and so no matter how little colour is contained on the page you will incur the colour page printing cost. All other pages without any colour will be printed in black ink only and charged at the black ink only printing rate.
We have a great reputation for meeting the deadlines expected by our customers. However we can accept no liability, under any circumstances, for any delay in providing this service as there could be circumstances beyond our ability to control.
Note that pdf submission times are based on 20 minutes from the time you press “send”
Same day print and bind service.
This service is available but cannot be submitted via Thesisonline.
To get a same day service the following criteria must be met:
- Your PDF must be emailed to email@example.com by 7.30am.
- Please phone us soon afterwards on 0208 992 3965 to submit the details of your order.
- Personal collection is required if your thesis/es is needed the same day, failing this you can select one of our delivery methods.
- Payment is required with your order on the phone and you will be advised on what time to collect your work.
Next day (24 hour)
From the time you submit your thesis, we work to a strict 24 hour service for collection or dispatch
Two day service (48 hours)
From the time you submit your thesis, we work to a strict 48 hour service for collection or dispatch
5 day Service
5 day service
From the time you submit your thesis, we work to a strict 5 working days service for collection or dispatch
Our calculator prices are based on the following;
- Black & white per page £0.05p
- Colour page £0.28p
|5 days||48 hours||24 hours||Same day|
|Hard bound thesis||£18.00||£20.00||£25.00||£39.00|
|Soft bound thesis||£10.00||£12.50||£15.00||£22.00|
- Plastic CD Pocket £1.00
- Plastic corner pocket for inserts £1.00
- Hand made pocket (cloth) £5.50
The stated services below are based on our chosen courier company not failing in their level of service and no liability will be accepted by thesisonline or Blissetts for any failure in this regard. We will normally email you details of dispatch. It is your responsibility to ensure somebody is available to sign for and take delivery.
Saturday deliveries can be arranged but you will need to call and request this at an added cost.
Please note all services below are for UK deliveries only unless specified otherwise. We can arrange for deliveries abroad but we can only cost this upon completion of the work due to differing weights and postage rates.
**Any thesis ordered for delivery to UCL (Student Centre - Chadwick Building) are guaranteed to be delivered no later than the day following the completion of the print/binding turnaround time.
**UCL is NOT a free collection point for all thesisonline customers. It is the UCL students responsibility to check with the student centre as to whether their work is able to be delivered there. We have been advised by the Research Degrees office that at the end of each day, any work that has been delivered is passed to the registry. If your work is not intended to end up there, then the student centre will reject it. We understand the following degrees are eligible for delivery: PhD / MPhil / MRes / EngD, others may apply so please check.
Any thesis/es that are delivered to this point and rejected will be bought back to Blissetts and the customer is responsible for the collection or re-delivery and associated costs.
|UCL Student Centre (Chadwick Building)||£0.00|
|1-3 day Carrier||£12.00|
|Premium delivery next day before 12.00 excluding Saturday||£26.00|
|Own Van if in London||£15.00|
|Highlands and Islands/Ireland||£25.00|
What are the binding options?
We will sew and bind the printed pages for you either as cloth covered Hard bound books or cloth covered Soft bound books with lettering on the spine and/or front covers. You can choose which cloth colour we are to use when covering the hard bound or soft bound bindings and also what colour spine and front cover lettering you require.
Alternatively you can have the pages bound together using our Wiro bound binding facility without any spine lettering of course but with a choice of cover combinations and spine wire colours.
- Hard bound
- Soft bound
- Wiro Bound
See our Fact File on Thesis binding here.
Are discounts available?
Whilst no discount is available on the printing charges, Wiro Bound formats or delivery costs, you will be given a 5% discount on the binding costs if ordering at least 4 or more copies of any hard bound or soft bound formats at the same time for delivery to one address.
What Extras are available?
The following extras are available with your thesis binding:
- Cloth Pocket for loose inserts
- Plastic Pocket for CD inserts
- Plastic Corner Pockets for loose inserts
Terms and conditions
Important Information on delivery options:
- We can arrange to deliver to any single UK mainland address either by Royal Mail Special Delivery (guaranteed next working day) or by secure carrier within a maximum of 3 days. Most deliveries by carrier are made the next day but please make sure if using this method that there will be somebody in to receive and sign for delivery otherwise the parcel will be returned to us.
- We can also despatch to Highlands and Islands or to Ireland on a 3-day basis and will be pleased to quote for deliveries overseas if requested in advance. Contact Us (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- It may be possible to arrange delivery to your university department or faculty if within London or the South East via our own delivery van. Please check with us first. Contact Us (email@example.com)
Costs for packaging and delivery by the different options are shown inclusive of VAT in the Easy Calculator.
While all efforts are made to ensure your work is sent out within deadlines, the company, (Blissett Bookbinders) does not accept any responsibility whatsoever for late submissions which may be due to production issues during the print and bind process. Nor can any responsibility be taken for the loss of work in transit. Whilst all efforts are made to deliver your work accurately, our responsibility for delivery by Business Post is limited to having a signed proof of delivery which will be provided by Business Post on request. Our own drivers will also have signed paperwork and responsibility is limited to this also. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for the loss of work by normal postage. Any other loss, in the event of a successful claim against the company is limited to the cost or producing print and binding at the companies expense.
Is VAT payable?
There is no VAT payable on your thesis printing and binding as the service is currently zero rated by HM Revenue and Customs. VAT is charged on packaging and delivery charges at the standard rate.
Cover Colour Options
Whilst every effort has been made to reproduce these colours accurately, users should be advised that actual cover colours may vary from that displayed on your own computer monitor.
For Hard or Soft Bound Formats
View the colour grid at Blissetts main web site: Colour Grid.
Please specify cloth colour choice when ordering on the order form using the drop down menu.
For Wiro Bound Formats
Cover and Spine Wire Options: Choose between clear plastic front and back covers or clear plastic front covers with white card back cover. Spine wires are available to order in black, white, red or blue colours. Please specify when ordering on the order form using the drop down menus
If ordering on-line then your payment details will be required when you place the order and payment will be taken from your credit or debit card before any work commences. You can pay on a Mastercard, Visa, Switch, Delta or Solo charge card by giving details on our secure encrypted payment page. Confirmation of your order and payment will be sent to you by e-mail.
You will still need to submit your payment details when ordering on-line, even if collecting your work personally.
Do I need to reserve orders in advance?
There is no need to book an appointment in advance if planning to visit our shop or to reserve an order prior to sending your order on-line. Check Shop opening Times ›
We will print from a remote disc or storage stick if delivered or posted to us or from an attached file sent by e-mail provided the file is in PDF format. We can also provide a photocopying service if multiple copies are required from an original hardcopy or just bind from your own printed copies. Please ask us for details of current prices for photocopying and binding or binding only. Contact Us (firstname.lastname@example.org)